We all have those few things in our pantry or fridge that we always have on hand. It’s usually a go-to snack, a favorite condiment or probably a guilty pleasure we can’t wean off of. A few of my pantry/fridge staples include almond milk, nut butters, homemade granola mix, bananas, guac, Taco Bell mild sauce, Enzo’s garlic infused olive oil, crackers, etc. Once I started listing those off, I realized it’s hard to name just a few.
Anyway, I would like to introduce you to another refrigerator item you should always have on hand. Introducing… pickled red onions!! I know, it sounds strange and random. But seriously, look at their gorgeous color. You can add them on almost anything savory. I love them on tacos or salads like this one. They are better than pickles, so if you hate pickles don’t check these pickled red onions off your list before giving them a try! Also, they are easy to make and can be stored in a mason jar for weeks. I plan to have a jar of these vibrant picked onions in my fridge at all times.
I loved the way this salad turned out to be so colorful. Just about any kind of dressing would pair well with this abundant salad, but I decided to share the recipe for my lemon sesame dressing because it is light and easy and it dressed this salad well. Enjoy the pretty pickled red onions, summery salad ingredients & lemony vinaigrette recipes below!
- • 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- • 1 cinnamon stick
- • 3 whole cloves
- • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- • 1/4 cup sugar
- • 1/2 tablespoon salt
- • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- • 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- • 1 lemon, juiced
- • 1/2 tablespoon agave or honey
- • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- • Small pinch of salt
- • 4 cups mixed greens
- • 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- • 1/2 avocado, sliced
- • 1/2 cup pickled onions (recipe included)
- • 1/2 cup marinated artichokes
- • 3/4 cup corn
- • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- • 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- Add sliced onions to a bowl.
- Boil water, then pour it over the onions and cover for just 10 seconds, then drain.
- Add onions to a mason jar.
- Toast the cinnamon and cloves in a small saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, or 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in the vinegar, lime juice, sugar and salt.
- Simmer and cook until sugar and salt have dissolved, only 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Then, pour the brine over the onions.
- Allow to stand at room temperature until cooled. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Whisk together all Lemon Sesame Vinaigrette ingredients, then set aside in a small bowl until ready to use.
- Place the bowl of dressing in the center of a wide bowl, then cover the bottom of the bowl with the mixed greens.
- Arrange the salad toppings on top of the greens.
- Toss with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with additional sesame seeds before serving.