Mac ‘n’ Cheese needs no introduction. However, this version is made with some ingredients you wouldn’t usually think to incorporate in your typical mac ‘n’ cheese. But once you do, you’ll be glad you did. This cheeseless, yet cheesy bowl was made to be nutritious & delicious & that’s exactly what it is. I highly recommend making yourself a bowl of this comfort food before watching The Batchelor or whatever show you’re currently hooked on. Even though this recipe is cheeseless, you’ll love it so much it will make you say cheese! 😀
“It’s perfect for warming up in the cold weather in January, without ruining any New Year’s resolutions.” – The Fresno Bee
If you’re a visual person like I am, click here to watch the recipe video for this Mac ‘n’ Cheeseless creation. If you prefer reading, then here ya go just look below!
- 2.5 cups brown rice macaroni
- 1.5 cups peeled & chopped potatoes
- 1/3 cup peeled & chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling on top
- Soak cashews for at least 2 hours to soften them for blending, then discard water.
- Boil potatoes, carrots & onion until soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Then, remove pot from heat and set aside, without draining.
- In a separate pot, boil pasta according to package instructions, then strain and return to the pot.
- Transfer the potatoes, carrots & onion to a high-speed blender, along with about 3/4 cup of the water they were boiled in.
- Add cashews and remaining ingredients into the blender, then blend until completely smooth.
- Pour cheeselessly cheesy sauce over the macaroni and combine.
- Adjust seasoning, if desired. Then, serve with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and enjoy!
Since this Mac ‘n’ Cheeseless is a hearty dish, I thought a heart-shaped bowl would be fitting. Especially since February is just one day away! <3