Pumpkin & Lentil Rice Bowl w/ an Avocado Drizzle
Hi, pumpkin! 🙂 Once October rolls around, l get this itch to make something (or everything) using pumpkins!
What I did to prepare the baby pumpkins was stick them whole in a steamer. Once they became soft, I simply cut it up into bite-sized pieces and discarded the stem and seeds. Feel free to keep the pumpkin seeds to season, bake, and enjoy later. The skin can be kept on, unless you prefer it without.
In this recipe, I decided to make a brown rice bowl filled with pumpkin, lentils, peas, red leaf lettuce, asparagus, and a sprinkle of pomegranates.Random? Yes. Tasty, festive & colorful? Also yes.
This hearty bowl makes a perfect fall dish. The creamy, zesty avocado dressing combines so well with this pumpkiny combination.
Bowl Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 3 baby pumpkins
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups rinsed/drained lentils
- 3/4 cup thawed peas
- Large handful red leaf lettuce
- 6 spears of asparagus
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Dollop of plain greek yogurt
- Wash the pumpkins well, then steam them whole for about 25 minutes, or until they can be easily pierced, then cut up into bite-sized pieces.
- Boil about 4 cups of water with the brown rice and cook for about 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a separate pot, cook the lentils according to package instructions, or until water is absorbed. Then, drain and rinse.
- Next, add the peas to the pot with the cooked lentils and allow them to heat up with the lentils, then season them with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Then, add everything into a large serving bowl over a bed of red leaf lettuce. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top, along with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, and of course the avocado drizzle (recipe below).
Avocado Drizzle Ingredients:
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 juiced lime
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Method for Dressing:
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender
- Adjust seasoning to desired preference
- Drizzle over the beautiful bowl